Monday, April 27, 2009

Alaska running

I run at least 100 miles a month in the great state of Alaska. My goal is 100 miles/month and 1200 miles/year. I've been running for almost 10 years now and I love it. I use my lunch hour to run between 5 and 6 miles daily. I also run on the weekends when I have to, but prefer my "lunch" runs. Some runs are exciting, scary, and some are just plain boring. I will tell those stories on here. Some stories include running into moose, being chased by moose, and me chasing moose! You've never experienced the fear and excitement of running from a 1200 pound bull moose with an enormous rack of antlers (at least most of you haven't)! There's also the feeling that you're being watched by a bear! I live in Anchorage, near the Campbell Creek Science Center on the lower hillside. This area has a high concentration of bears. Last year there were two attacks. In fact, there was a highly publicized attack on a young girl; the exact area that I ran through less than 24 hours earlier. That was eerie....

I run outside all the time, no matter the weather. My bottom temperature is -20F. I've found that running in temps colder than that is just way too cold on the body. I grow a very full beard in the winter and during the cold runs it's usually covered with heavy layers of ice and frost. I know I have a picture someplace. I'll look for it to post.

Check back each day and I'll recount the day's run or tell of a story in the past 10 years Running through Alaska!

Thanks.
Brann

No comments:

Post a Comment